Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Okay, Okay I Give

Alright internet you win. Hobby Lobby. Here we go.

So as I said last week, I was not surprised that the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby. I also have been sitting and waiting to see what else will pop up because of this ruling and sure enough other cases are now coming up siting the ruling which include detainees and their rights to their religious practices. It'll be interesting to see if the law is upheld when it is not a matter of Christian beliefs. I feel like everyone has been overloaded with discussion of this whole issue so I am going to skip over the main part of the argument where it blows that this happened. 

And go to the backlash....

Since the ruling came out people have been going into Hobby Lobby and rearranging things to say "Pro-Choice" and so on and so forth. When I first saw this I thought it was clever, the first time. However, as this has begun to catch on I can't help but think that it is really stupid and doing absolutely nothing but punishing the people who work at Hobby Lobby who are already being punished because their birth control is not being covered. I know that no one wants to think about the employees in this context and I swear if you're thinking "why don't they quit?" you clearly have no idea about the economic climate. I am not about to blame the people who are working in the stores at Hobby Lobby or about to make their lives more difficult because it's not their fault. If you want to do something then do something that will annoy the higher ups and not the people in charge of stalking the shelves. 

I am also a fan of simply not buying their stuff. I LOVED Hobby Lobby. I spent so much time there getting stuff to make jewelry and various Christmas presents. I am also an avid scrapbooker and went there ALL the time for their deals. However, since this whole controversy started when Obama care first went into effect I have not set foot inside one of their stores. Boycotting works. Does it make a huge difference that I by myself am not spending money there anymore? No. But if everyone who is upset about this decision decided to spend their money elsewhere then, yes, a difference would be made in Hobby Lobby's profits. Would it reverse the decision by the Supreme Court? No. We are going to have to wait until something else fights its way up the ladder to the Supreme Court to see if any change will happen with that ruling. 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment