Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Because I Don't Want to Get Down With the Sickness

For the first time in my life I appear to have a really good immune system. I haven't been really sick in over a year at this point and while I am terrified that I am currently jinxing myself by writing this, I'm going to continue. *Watch next week I have West Nile and Ebola*

The secret to my health is a partially due to working with kids for over two years. I was almost constantly sick the first year and half, kids will do that to you. But my doctor was right and my immune system eventually said "Screw this being sick stuff" and I've been pretty healthy since. But the secret to how I didn't die during that year and a half and how every time I start to feel like I might be getting sick and the next day I am all better is simple: Apple Cider Vinegar.

When I was in graduate school I lived with a vegan couple who had fantastic health. And sure enough when I started to get sick they shared with me the all powerful apple cider vinegar. They drink it whenever they feel like they are getting sick. It kills all of the bacteria in your throat and stomach that is trying to make you sick. Now I was highly skeptical of this especially since they were drinking it right out of a bottle as though it was some delicious tea. But Meg and Jim assured me that I didn't need to chug a bottle of the stuff. So I gave it a whirl. I had shot glasses that I would fill halfway and slam it. Now I am not going to lie to you, I also have pinch my nose shut as I did this. I never questioned their claim that it killed at all of the bacteria because I could feel it doing it and after my throat wouldn't hurt.

My boyfriend swears it doesn't work however last night when I said I thought I was getting sick the first thing he said was "Do you want the apple cider vinegar?". Today I feel fine. Now the ACV trick doesn't work if you're knee deep in sickness, it may help you get over it quicker but the best time to use it is when you first notice that you are coming down with something. Some people suggest drinking it every day to improve health. And while studies have shown that there are health benefits to it I just haven't graduated to a stage where I am okay drinking ACV on a daily basis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment