Tuesday, May 20, 2014

History in my State

Today my home state PA became the 19th state to strike down the ban against marriage equality. I am so excited for my friends and family who can now marry the people they love in their home state. It is a shame that it has taken until 2014 for this to happen. The gross injustice that still goes on in this country that infringes on basic human rights is something I have never understood. Love between two consenting adults is no one else's business. And I for one have sat through enough straight weddings where I knew that the two people saying "I Do" were going to be getting divorced for whatever reason. If people who obviously are headed for divorced  can get married because their genitalia happens to be an innie and an outtie then why can't two outties or two innies enjoy the same freedom if they love each other? Marriage is a legal binding contract with the state not just a religious ceremony. They are different. And quite a few religions allow for marriages that do not fit the narrow Judeo-Christian definition. And Christians are not being forced to allow gay marriage in their churches that is a battle I don't particularly care to engage in. Today is a day of celebration for human rights.

Sleep well tonight PA. You did right kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment