Sunday, March 9, 2014

How Far We Haven't Come Part 1

I have labeled this Part 1 because I am positive various other topics will arise that will illuminate the illusion of equality and how far we have come. This past week I was on the Bookface and I saw that VH1 had made a post about Scarlett Johansson being pregnant. What was the focus of this birth announcement? How big her boobs are. To be exact the article was called Scarlett Johansson is Pregnant! Celebrate Her New Baby Boobs with Her 29 Bustiest Moments.Click to read the article Really? VH1 wants to celebrate pregnancy with tit pictures? What a progressive society we live in! Even when women are pregnant they still are objectified. Yeah, we've come a long way baby.

I was chatting about my outrage to a friend of mine and she informed me that when she interviewed for a position at a store in the local mall called Motherhood, that she decided she wasn't interested in the job when they told her she would be selling skinny jeans to pregnant women. Now I myself have never been pregnant. However, I do have friends and family members who have been and from what they tell me, being pregnant can be pretty damn uncomfortable. You have a baby pushing on your organs already, why would you then shove yourself into skinny jeans? And there is no way that wearing constricting clothes can be good for you especially when you're already swelling.

By no means do I think that pregnant women should have to wear ugly clothes or that they should feel unattractive. I actually like that pregnant women have more options for their clothing choices (as do babies. Baby clothes as waaaay cuter than when I was an infant) but their clothes should also be comfortable. Pregnant women should not be subjected to objectification,

 not that any women should but this just seems worse. Talking about a glow or how beautiful a pregnant woman is, is much different than saying "Check out those titties!" I am even more outraged that it is 2014 and I have to explain this. There is such a constant pressure on women to have the perfect appearance all of the time. Shouldn't at least pregnant women get a pass to just be people since they are making a person? I don't have what one would call high standards for VH1 but they managed to sink to a new level of low.

No comments:

Post a Comment