Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Baby Thongs?

About a week ago I was visiting one of my best friends when she told me I had to see something because I would "appreciate it". Immediately I knew I was going to angry very soon. First thing to understand is that Dez is a mother of two, a 2 year old girl and a 5 month old boy(my Godson). The little girl was recently potty trained and as is prone to happen occasionally has accidents.

The one day Dez was in the mall with her kids and the little girl had an accident. Not having any spare undies for her, Dez ran into Krazy 8 and bought some underwear. The ones for a 2 year old looked a little small so Dez bought the next size up. It is important to note that these little girl underwear were in a 4 pack so Dez couldn't see the exact size and since she was just trying to get her daughter into dry clothes she didn't put too much thought into it. Once she took the underwear out and placed them on her daughter, she realized these weren't normal little girls' underwear. 

The underwear that she had unknowingly bought for her 2 year old is designed to look like adult women's panties. What does this mean? Her little butt cheeks hangout. Why on earth would someone think this was a good idea? Did a pedophile design these? Because that is the only reason why someone would be in favor of having a 2 year old's butt cheeks hanging out of their underwear. 


Here is the sexualized underwear placed on top of the regular little girls underwear. You can clearly see the size difference in the photo although in person it is a more stark difference. 


Needless to say, my niece will not be wearing "underwear" from this store ever again. Her mother was pretty disgusted and rightfully so. I mean, I have seen a lot of crazy things for little girls to wear, including high heels for little girls just trying to learn to walk. Don't get me started on that one. But this underwear fiasco is not even trying to hide it's agenda. What's next toddler thongs? How about corsets for infants? That one has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

 Actually Abecrombie and Fitch has already made little girl thongs. And oh wait! Someone already thought that it was a great idea to make something along the lines of baby corsets. I actually googled toddler thongs and infant corsets after jokingly writing the above paragraph because I had the disturbing realization that some creepo probably already invited that shit. Sometimes I hate being right. I truly hope that no parent would ever buy this crap for their kids. Also I worry because the extreme sexualization of children and infants makes things that sexualize them on a smaller scale seem not as bad because we become desensitized. That butt cheek underwear starts to seem not so bad next to the child thong. But it is still horrible and should not exist. I find it extremely disconcerting that at a time when everyone is focusing on the sexualization of women in the media we are sexualizing little girls and infants. So how do we combat this? Unfortunately the only thing that can be done is simply not buying these products. By standing up and saying "No! Children are children and not sex objects." *Adults aren't either but that's another topic*  

No comments:

Post a Comment